Thursday, August 30, 2012

It Was A Dark And Stormy Night....



I live in tornado country. It's not uncommon to have so many tornado warnings issued on the radio and TV that you can't even begin to watch anything without so many cut ins, you may as well just turn it off.  I've seen a few tornadoes, luckily from a safe enough distance. They are awe inspiring in their terrible beauty. It's a sight and sound never forgotten.



Fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, we haven't had to deal with many storms the past few years due to a terrible draught that I know is effecting a large part of the country. We would love to have rain, we pray for rain, but without the damaging storms that often accompany it.



One day last week, you could just tell it was going to be stormy later that afternoon. It was so hot, but it was so humid too. I could see the storms building to the west, the clouds getting tall and dark. The weather guys started with the watches. Then, the warnings began to be issued. Still to our west, but getting closer by the hour.



I carried on with my usual chores. I made one of Blue's favorite pasta dishes and had it warming in the oven. I had the table set and was hoping that Blue would get home before the storm hit. The thunderstorm warning now included our county and it was going to start very soon. Luckily, no tornadoes were expected, although the wind was to be near hurricane force with small hail and torrential rain.



Blue finally arrived, and I kid you not, he just barely made it in the door before the wind slammed the house and the rain came down in sheets. We could hear hail so hard on the windows, I was afraid they might break. As Blue was taking off his work boots, the electricity went out. It was completely dark except for the flashes of lightning. Without the noise of the TV, we could hear the storm raging even more than before.




Blue and I stumbled around rounding up candles and a few flashlights.  Of course, I had trouble finding flashlights that actually worked. Someone really should check them now and then for just such an occasion!  Blue takes a battery operated lantern with him to go clean up while I light the candles on the dining room table. Hey, this is starting to look cozy and romantic.



We sit down in the flickering light to eat our pasta while the lightning flashes and the rain slides down the window. At least, the hail was brief and there probably isn't much damage. Without any distractions from TV, radio, phone or Internet, we find ourselves really focusing on each other. Blue tells me a few funny stories about his day, and I tell him about this stray cat that's been hanging around. Soon though, we find ourselves talking less, and looking at each other more. Finally, we fall silent and just sit looking. It's beyond romantic with the storm outside, the candles inside...Blue gives me that wicked grin that I love and that makes me weak in the knees.



So, what's for dessert?  He asks.




Oh, I'm liking the direction this is going!  I hope the power stays off for a good long time.




Whatever you want.  I answer with a wicked grin of my own.




Blue stands and comes around the table to take my hand and pull me to my feet. We grab a few candles on the way to the den. I'm suddenly so glad that today instead of my usual jeans, I chose my favorite sundress. It makes me feel pretty and feminine in a way that jeans don't.




Blue leads me to the couch and pulls me down and across his lap.  Did I actually just giggle like a school girl?  Yes, I think I did!




I think it's time we had a little maintenance. 



I've read enough blogs to know maintenance isn't always such a welcome thing. Honestly, I love it! Our maintenance sessions are generally friendly and often lead to better things. He begins to swat me very softly with his hand. He slowly increases the intensity of the swats.



You were a little rude to me this morning, you need to be more careful about that.  




True, I was grumpy that morning. Blue suddenly flips up the skirt of my dress and increases the tempo and intensity of his swats. He keeps it up for long enough that I begin to squirm and I have to fight the urge to put my hand back there to try and stop him. I've done that before and it doesn't work out very well for me. I know better now.




Blue knows he's made his point, and he slows his pace and lightens up his intensity. He finally stops altogether and he's quiet for so long I begin to wonder if something's wrong. I manage to turn my head enough to look up at him. He's just sitting there gazing down on me and I suddenly feel as shy as I did when we first married.




He helps me sit up and holds me in his lap stroking my hair. Finally, we stand and make our way to the bedroom with only the flickering light of a single candle and the sound of rain on the roof.  I love storms!






36 comments:

  1. I agree! Rainy nights can be soo romantic:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tess, glad you appreciate a rainy night too :)

      Delete
  2. Aw, Cowgirl, I'm glad you two found a way to make the must of it when the lights went out. Sounds very romantic.

    I spent most of my life in tornado alley. I love, love, love storms - the rain and wind, thunder, lightning, snow, sleet, even a little hail. But, I have a healthy respect for Tornado and really don't want her getting close enough to drop in for a visit at my home. And, I don't want to meet her sisters, Cyclone and Hurricane, brothers Tsunami and Blizzard. or Uncle Ice Storm. Nasty folks.

    Irishey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Irishey :) Well, we had to find some way to entertain ourselves....So, you spent most of your life in tornado alley, huh? I guess that's a pretty big area, but wouldn't it be a hoot if we actually knew each other, lol! I can do without the snow, but I do like a good thunderstorm. Not just for the reasons in my post either :). I agree, I sure don't want to meet any of Tornado's family. Definitely not a nice family! Thanks for stopping by Irishey. You have a good weekend! :)

      Delete
    2. Heck, Cowgirl, we might even be second or third cousins once or twice removed. I have extended relatives all over the place. Besides that, if you're my friend, you're automatically one of the family. You know how that works!

      Irishey

      Delete
    3. Well, shoot, maybe I'll see you at the next family reunion, lol! I do know how that works, Irishey, so I'll consider us family from now on :) Sorry for the late response, I missed your comment until now....

      Delete
  3. It sounds like you had a wonderful time. Nice to have unplanned romance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny how the unplanned stuff usually ends up being better than the carefully planned encounters! It was wonderful, lilmisses. Thanks! :)

      Delete
  4. Oh that is a great way to play in the dark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend it, Minelle! Thanks and enjoy your holiday weekend :)

      Delete
    2. Last big storm....My idea too.:))

      Delete
    3. Ah! I guess great minds think alike, Minelle :)

      Delete
  5. Gee, Cowgirl, we usually just play cards when the lights go out around here :) That sounds like a lot more fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lillie :) Yeah, I think it's way more fun than any card game I've ever played! Next time you lose your power, try it and see if you agree! :)

      Delete
  6. Wow Cowgirl. That sounds like such a fun and romantic evening!! I am majorly jealous. :)

    Seriously, what a fun night. I think I love storms now too after all your good ideas. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Molly Rose, it was super fun! You and Jack will be married by the time spring rolls around next year. Spring brings storms, storms bring down power lines, downed power lines lead to......I'm sure you and Jack will think of something! Have a wonderful weekend :)

      Delete
  7. I enjoyed your post. It does sounds like it was a fun time. Yay for storms that lead to good things:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, SNP! I hope we have storms more often...:)

      Delete
  8. Very romantic post. Can I be jealous?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I have a feeling you have more than enough fun yourself, sunnygirl! Thanks for the comment :)

      Delete
  9. I love storms too. I wrote about that recently..making memories on a dark stormy night outside.

    Nice romantic post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Stormy, I'm honored to see you here :) Believe it or not, I thought about you when I put the title up there! Dark stormy nights are a gift sometimes, aren't they. I appreciate you taking the time to comment and let me know you were here. :)

      Delete
  10. What a nice story! Storms make me pretty nervous but the later in the season it gets, the more I relax. I think this sounds like a perfectly pleasant way to pass the time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susie :) Spring is a much more scary time for storms, that's for sure. I guess we could have just had a nice nap instead, but I'm glad we didn't....Thanks for the kind words- among other things, I appreciate it! :)

      Delete
  11. Lovely post and very romantic.

    Love,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ronnie, thank you so much! I hope you have a wonderful weekend. :) xx

      Delete
  12. Very nice story. Something to look forward to in the future. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, and welcome. It's great to see you here! :) I'm glad you enjoyed my post. Thank you so much for taking the time to comment.

      Delete
  13. And people wonder why I get excited when the storms really start coming down! Sounds like you guys enjoy them just as much as we do. Glad you guys had a chance to spend some amazing time together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosie, glad to see a fellow storm lover, lol! I can't wait for another one.....Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  14. What a lovely way to pass a power outage. Sounds like a terrific evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fantastic evening, Zoe! I highly recommend it. Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  15. I also have lived in tornado alley all my life and have had several close calls. My mom was actually ground zero of a tornado in 2008 but luckily she wasn't seriously hurt. Still have no clue why I have never moved away! :)

    Love your romantic evening - it sounds wonderful. So happy you found such a lovely way to pass the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cat :) How scary for your mom, I'm glad she wasn't hurt! Really, I guess there is no safe place to live. If it's not a tornado it will be something else. Hurricanes, earthquakes, etc.

      Our evening was wonderful, can't wait until spring, lol! Thanks for commenting, Cat. I hope you have a wonderful week! :)

      Delete
  16. I agree, storms are great for some atmosphere. I'm glad you had some fun with it ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Storms are great, aren't they Riley! Thanks for visiting :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comments! I love knowing that you were here :)